Friday, September 15, 2006

I have been spending so much time, at least mentaly, trying to assess how Wake Forest's offense matches up with UConn's defense. Maybe I've been going about this the wrong way. The equation might have been backwards.

The Demon Deacons gave up 367 yards to Duke. Duke!!! Listen, this isn't basketball. Duke is not considered a solid team. Part of the problem Wake Forest faced last week was undisciplined play. They had five interference calls called against them. I have to think a team with several returning players on defense -- mostly seniors -- that they should play more focused.

How much does a new QB playing on the road influence the game? Plenty. I don't know if Riley Skinner will handle playing at Rentschler Field. I suspect he will complete less than 50 percent of his passes and throw at least two picks.

One of the concerns I've had was the way UConn defended against the option. Wake ran the option once against the Blue Devils. It turned into a loss of eight yards. OK, so we shouldn't expect to see too much of that tomorrow, but Wake will run and run often.

No comments: