Wednesday, November 22, 2006

It's a weird feeling when you can see the end of the season not too far in front of you. I mean, it's come quickly and in its own weird way, unexpectedly. August seems like it was yesterday.

Back in July I met the team's co-captains for the first time. Saturday will be the end of the road for them. Jahi Smith hasn't played all year, but is still very much part of the team. Allan Barnes has had a quiet year off the bench, but stepped in when he was needed most despite being banged up most of the time. Rhema Fuller is something else. He impresses me each time I speak with him and its hard to imagine whjat next year will be like without someone who is as well-spoken, intelligent and up front leader. Then there is Terry Caulley. The man has been to Hell and back with injuries. Yet, he fights to have one more play as if his life depended upon it. Even after losing hie starting job, he never complained.

I wonder...who will be next year's captains? I have some ideas, but past incidents make it hard for them to follow in the shadow of this season's co-captains, especially Fuller and Caulley.

My picks: Dan Davis, Danny Lansanah and Larry Taylor. My darkhorse is Tyvon Branch. Branch has really shown signs of growth this season.

We'll just have to wait and see who coach Randy Edsall selects.

No comments: