Monday, September 03, 2007

The first game is in the past and the UConn Huskies now look ahead to the home opener. I know there are hopes of a bowl game now that the Huskies have defeated the mighty Blue Devils of Duke.

Let's go through the schedule and what I expect to see happen:

At Duke -- well, not as close as I thought, but a win nonetheless. (1-0)
Maine -- Should be an easy win (2-0)
Temple - If UConn loses this one, the program should go D-II (3-0)
At Pittsburgh -- This is the pivitol game of the season. My gut says the Huskies win (4-0)
Akron -- I think the Zips are better than expected, but UConn should win (5-0)
At Virginia -- No way UConn wins this one (5-1)
Louisville -- This will be the worst defeat of the season (5-2)
South Florida -- The middle game of the worst stretch this season (5-3)
Rutgers -- Close, but no cigar (5-4)
at Cincinnati -- I'd like the Huskies' chances at the Rent, but it's a tough road game against an improved Bearcats squad (5-5)
Syracuse -- Last chance for bowl eligibility (6-5)
At West Virginia -- That seventh win never seemed more distant than it will against the Mountaineers (6-6).

I'm of the mind that a six-win season gets you a bowl game, but it didn't happen for Pitt last year after dropping six straight and I don't think it happens for the Huskies because they play one of the weakest schedules outside of the BIg East. If I'm proven wrong and the Huskies beat Virginia, they go bowling. If not...baby steps.

No comments: