Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's cliche, I know, to say today's game is the most important game of the season. But in this case, it's hard to say otherwise. A win by UConn keeps the Huskies in the drivers seat for the Big East crown. A loss turns what was a two-team race into a three-team race. The Bearcats play West Virginia next week and if Cincy wins out over the next three weeks, they are the Big East champs. A loss today places the focus squarely on the UConn-West Virginia meeting in two weeks.

In Friday's paper I predicted a loss for UConn. I'm sitting here in the pressbox at Nippert Stadium and my gut is telling me the Huskies will win.

Cincinnati isn't as effective running the ball as UConn is, but Bearcats QB Ben Mauk will pose problems with his arm and legs. In the end, the decisive factors will be whether the Huskies can score in the red zone and who wins the turnover battle.

Also of note, members of the Sun Bowl committee are here checking out both teams.

No comments: