Thursday, August 21, 2008

Late night notes

After a double dip of practice and pagination, there are things not featuring in Thursday's Norwich Bulletin.

Randy Edsall discussed starting right guard Zach Hurd. Hurd had been on the coach's bad side lately. Saturday he ran a penalty lap and was told to tell reporters how stupid he is by Edsall after a false start.

Apparently the premature movements have been an issue for the big guy.

"Zach is a very conscientious young man," Edsall said following practice. "he called me (last) Wednesday night after the scrimmage; he had another false start that night. He called me on the phone and said, 'Coach, can I come in a talk to you? What can I do to help myself with that?' I said, ' Lets not talk over the phone; come in tomorrow and let's talk face-to-face.'" So I spent about 20 minutes with him and just told him things I thought he needed to do. He has all the abilities. I told him, No. 1, it's all about preparation: And that's knowing your assignments inside and out, knowing what your supposed to do. The second thing is focus. Once you get out there, just focus on the concept and the play that we have called. Don't be worried about anything else. Thirdly, you have to confidence in your ability. You're a good player."

No comments: