Saturday, August 02, 2008

Q & A Chris Lopes

I recently spoke with UConn Class of 2009 recruit Chris Lopes for a Q & A. This is what he had to say. Lopes, a 5-11 safety from the Tilton School in New Hampshire, runs a 4.41 40-yard dash and weighs in at 187 pounds.

Q: What was it that drew you to UConn?

A: "[Coach Randy Edsall] took me one-on-one; he personally took me through all these drills. He told me how he coached in the NFL and how I have the potential to be there. He gave me the pitch that I could play early. ... Plus I have a couple pf buddies who are going to school there; I'm going to have a lot of fun."

Q: Coach Edsall tries to present a family atmosphere, was that something that appealed to you?

A: "I definitely got the same feeling. We just connected. He told me he was having a cookout for his players. ... He stays with his players. I think he's a great person and he's making that program big. I think they can do [win the Big East] again. Hopefully in my time there my impact on the team will help win the Big East."

Q: How would you describe your style of play?

A: "I think the UConn fans who haven't seen me play in New Hampshire will see that I'm a very elusive, hard-hitting, physical and fast player. I have size, I can tackle, I can catch, I can run. My game films say it all.

"Last year I was only about 165. This year, I'm coming in at 187."

Q: Has any of the UConn coaches expressed desire for you to play more than one position?

A: "I'm trying to practice at wide receiver, but I'm 5-11-ish. I don't know. I played wide receiver at a camp, but they mostly want me at safety. They cans ee me doing punt returns and kick returns.

Q: Do you prefer wideout or safety?

A" "I like receiver a lot. But once I'm there I'd like to practice at receiver. We'll see what happens. Right now, I'm focused on defense."

Q: What does Edsall's experience with the NFL and helping produce NFL-caliber players mean to you?

A: "He's sent Tyvon Branch to the NFL, Robert Vaughn had a great year; I heard of him when he played in Massachusetts and Darius Butler. His track record speaks for itself. ... There is a lot of potential. The thing is I have the potential and I'm going to work hard to get better and better and better."

Q: How much pressure do you feel with the recent success of defensive backs at UConn?

A: "Actually that makes me feel real good. I'm going to do well at UConn. I'm not worried. I don't play nervous. I feel like I have confidence in my coaches and hopefully I can go to the next level."

No comments: